Monday, October 09, 2006

The Project

I do love that Train song. Something about being happy does make it easier to let go of the things that have been holding us down.

Getting rid of stuff is fun for me. I have packrat genes in my family, and I have seen what happens when the inability to let go of Stuff takes over one's life. I want to have less of it.

The plan is to get rid of one item every day for a year, and document them here (with photos). There is a sort of sub-goal, which is not to entirely fill the empty space with new/different stuff. This project isn't really about anti-consumerism, though I appreciate such things. I'm sure I will aquire objects over the next year. But I hope it will be more thoughtful, and I hope that, at the end of the year, the reduced amount of stuff that I do have around me is more deliberate.

I haven't decided yet how I will get rid of things. It will have to be on a case-by-case basis. Mostly, I plan to give things away, via the Lifelong AIDS Alliance thrift store and/or Goodwill. I may sell a few things. A few sentimental items will probably go to family members, or back to the people who gave them to me. Things that are actual trash don't count, and none of these 365 objects will be tossed into the dumpster.

This could be interesting, or it could be like watching somebody clean their garage. I don't know. We'll see.

(Thank you: Creighton, for the camera. Dad, for the card reader. Apple, for making such fucking fantastic computers. Google, for rocking so hard...)

3 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is going to be an interesting project. I am looking forward to it.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger ellybabes said...

I shall be following this closely... you should think about getting an atom/rss feed so that people can see when your posts are up each day, that way you won't be depending on them remembering to check back...

My blog post on your project

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Angie Feldman said...

I just stumbled onto your blog. This is a great project, and it's putting ideas into my head!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home